View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I was just wondering that myself. I can run power to the TM, but I like to disconnect the battery. Would plugging in the TM to 120V with the battery disconnected work? Would it be hard on the converter? I could always run power directly to the dehumidifier.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Ivation IVADM55. However, I'm thinking I probably want to run a small heater to warm the air and maintain the trailer temperature at about 10°C (55°F). Of course, now that I'm talking about a heater, I also have to consider fire safety.

EDIT: I just remembered I cannot keep the TM plugged in when it is closed up. I'll have to feed a power cord directly to the dehumidifier and heater.
Larry -

Yes, you could power up the TM with the battery disconnected. I don't think anything would be affected. The converter doesn't care - and of course you could snap off the circuit breaker that feeds it.

That IVATION dehumidifier looks nice. I would question the claim that it is more energy-efficient than a conventional dehumidifier (thermo-electric devices are notoriously inefficient), but that is no big deal. There are also much less expensive dehumidifiers, of course. Walmart has a small thermo-electric unit for $33, instead of $120.

If you store the TM in an area that is subject to freezing, you could buy a small heater as you suggest. Like you, I would be worried about fire. Or you could buy a thermal switch to simply shut off the dehumidifier when the temperature drops too low. No need to dehumidify when the temp is below freezing.

By the way, why can't you power up the TM when it is closed? It is easy to pull the power cord out before you close it. Just my thought.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote