View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Jeff the marmot

I know this thread is a year old, but it's the most recent with this topic. I just learned a bit about the horizontal tanks so I'm adding some info to this so it can be found in a search.

I have a 2009 2720SD with the two horizontal tanks. The exact same tanks on the TM can be purchased from Manchester. They are sold through multiple places. It's more expensive through Amazon, although they can be found there too. This is called the Manchester 20 pound (5 gallon) horizontal tank with gauge. This is an exact replacement of the original TM equipment - no modification needed.

Initially I couldn't find a place in or near Denver that would replace a leaky valve or recertify the tank after it was 10 years old, so I ended up buying 2 new tanks by having them shipped to me. Then I learned that new tanks are supposed to be "purged" of air on the very first time they are filled. I went to a couple U-Haul places that were clueless about what that meant. They said they couldn't purge new tanks. They are a great place to get refills but only starting with the 2nd time a new tank is filled.

Eventually I ran across a great resource called AAA Propane in western Denver (actually in Wheat Ridge) at about 44th and Wadsworth that is highly regarded by other propane users. They can repair and recertify the original tanks at that location. They also purge new tanks. I heard they typically replace the valves as part of a recertification process and whatever propane you had in there (if they are not empty) they will put back in the recertified tank and only charge you for what was added on the refill.

Since I had a bit of a learning curve with this whole thing, I'm posting this info for reference to help others.

2009 2720SD, swing tongue added by pro welder, Dometic toilet, LEDs inside and out, one solar panel so far, rear view camera, and larger wheels and tires.
2007 4-door Tacoma
Jeff the marmot is offline   Reply With Quote