View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
cochise

Default TrailManor marketing

There is a lot of confusion about weight in the TrailManor series of trailers. I have an Elkmont 24, where the weight does not make any sense. How so?
TrailManor advertise the weight as 2498 lb with 320 on the tongue. We purchased it and on the way home from Texas to Arizona, found that it was probably not correct. We had the trailer weighed on a public certified truck scale in Tucson. The result: The trailer axle weighed 3540 lb. The tongue weight was 590 lb. And we had nothing in the trailer. The title told us that the shipping weight was 2730 lb. The axle is a Dexter Torflex single axle with a weight limit of 3500 lb, yet the sticker (Federally mandated) states a GAWR of 3619 lb.

Confronted with all these different numbers, TrailManor has given me several explanations. The weight of the AC, the weight of the electric jack, the awning etc. BUT all of this was installed at the factory, and the title states shipping weight of 2730 lb.

Bill (moderator) gives the weight of the LP gas tanks as about 20 lb, but they weigh more like 40 lb filled, so that is 80 lb more on the tongue. I called each of the manufacturers of the "extras" my trailer was equipped with and got a total of about 185 lb, which is what Bill also arrived at. That brings us to an approximate total of 2700 lb, in accordance with the title. However Mr. Hulsey at TM told me that that was a misunderstanding, as mis-print, and that the weight would be more, and that I did not understand the "industry standards". Well I am a customer, and when I ask questions about towing and other items, I expect to get an honest answer. That did not happen!

One more thing, since the max weight of the axle is 3500 lb and the GAWR is 3619, if I ever had an accident and filed a claim, the insurance company would probably deny that claim based on the weight discrepancy, this according to a phone call to the Insurance Information Institute.

So since the 2619 is a single axle trailer and the give the dry weight as 2673 lb, it is probably a lot more, thus I would be very very cautious about that.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote