View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
BobRederick

Doug,

I agree with Tim that you should drain all the water for freezing. This can be done on the TM safely and you don't need to use antifreeze. Lots of posts about that, so do a search. Also, the owners manual tells you how. Basically, TM put drains at the low points in the water system, a very nice feature. Also, draining the water heater preserves its health as water in there causes electrolysis which in time will move enough metal off the walls of the heater to result in a leak. Draining the heater eliminates this expensive "wear-out" factor.

Leaving the TM plugged in requires knowing what the converter is doing to your battery. The older converters (e.g., Magnatex 6330) placed a continuous trickle charge on the battery that was harmful and eventually boiled the cells dry. So you had to as a minimum frequently check the water level in the battery. The newer converter is a mystery box and I don't know of anyone who knows what it does. One thing you can do is to remove the battery covers and see if it is bubbling. If so, it is continuous trickle charge. My 6330 trickle charged for more than a month. I don't know if it ever shut off. {BTW, I removed the 6330 and replaced it with a much improved 4-mode Progressive Dynamics PD9160 which has been documented on this site as well as others. Now, I can leave the TM plugged into shore power and it is better for the battery than unplugging it.}