Thread: winter camping
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
dennisu

Default Re:winter camping

i can't say that i have experience with salt from the roadways even though i have been out in the winter with my 3023. live in k.c. and spent 10 days after christmas on north padre island national seashore and then travelled south to south padre and spent six weeks. at south padre, every other morning or so i would see these men out on their roofs washing down their motorhomes and trailers and stupid me felt like they should get a life and do something fun. little did i know that the salt spray from the ocean was what they were continually washing off. eventually i started rinsing my tm down to be like the rest of them even though i did not know why at the time. but i know now!

after leaving south padre and spending six nights in oklahoma city in 12 degree temps and 6 inches of snow i got home to balmy k.c. weather. in doing a thorough cleaning of the tm i found several areas where rust had set in, mainly along the bed supports on the front and back, since they are metal. this spring i sanded and repained the supports and have them back to nearly original condition. so yes, i would have to say in my situation salt did do some damage. i will say that i have seen no evidence of any other problems from the ocean spray with the exception of the bed supports. so i do not believe road salt will be a problem for the tm's body. it would be my suggestion that on those occassions that you drive on roads that have been treated, that a stop by the nearest car wash for a good rinse to the underside would be advised.

dennis