View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
irenepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne -

I'll agree with you about this, at least in Washington state. I used to spend a fair amount of time on Whidbey Island, Washington, doing work for the US Marine base there. There is only one real road up the length of the island, Rte 20, from the ferry landing at Mukilteo, up through Coupeville, Oak Harbor, Deception Pass, and up to the bridge at Anacortes. The roading is scenic, but also two lanes, and usually winding making passing difficult. It is prominently signposted "DELAY OF MORE THAN 5 VEHICLES ILLEGAL". And the local cops were serious. I would have been embarassed at best to be chugging along at 40 mph, pedal to the metal, with traffic backing up behind me.

Not a big deal in the context of this discussion - but Whidbey Island is at low altitude (sea level!), and relatively flat. For a different set of circumstances, it is worth considering.

Bill
As a resident of WA state and traveling from the east side to the coast of either WA or OR there are alot of 2 lane roads where I dislike following or being followed at speed below to well below the posted limit (second being the topic here). Passing lanes are available but seem to be few and far between. This was the reason I moved from the 4.0L that had a tow rating of 5000lbs to the 4.7LHO with a rating of 6500lbs. I had a 2720 and could make it anywhere I needed but on some of our mountain passes and other steep grades I could only travel at 45-50mph unless I would drop to 2nd gear and approach redline. Now I can travel the speed limit in most places and only drop into 4th and sometimes 3rd. This also allowed me to move to the bigger 3326TM. Better on engine and transmission. Just FYI