View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybeebob View Post
My thought being that with my frame being rigid, (do not know if other TM'S have springs) no flex to speak of and if a higher load range would take up some of the shock or instant overloading when either hitting something in the road or dropping into a hole. Would appreciate your thoughts on this before I commit.

Bob
Maybe not so good. Tires that have a higher load capacity usually get that higher capacity because they are inflated to a higher pressure. And a higher pressure makes a harder stiffer tire. (As an example, check out the rock-hard tires on an 18-wheeler, inflated to 120 psi!) And a harder tire will tend to pass the road shocks right on through to your trailer.

As people on this board have changed from 14-inch Marathons (1870 pounds at 50 psi) to 15-inch Marathons (2540 pounds at 65 psi), this has occasionally become a problem, manifesting itself as appliances shaken out of their mountings, stove grate on the floor, etc. My personal answer has been to run my 15-inch Marathons at 60 psi (about 2200 pounds capacity).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote