View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
When I purchased my 2720 3 years ago the dealer installed a new hitch on my Honda Ody and I am very pleased with how it has towed. I was instructed to use the 2nd link on the chain of the eqalizer bar when I tighten it to the hitch.
On a recent trip (for lack of a better explanation) let's just say I got a wild hair and used the 3rd link. Plus my wife says I don't follow instructions very well.
Anyway, I had gotten some front tire spin and my thinking -howerver unsound it may be-was if I used another link up it would "move" more weight forward. More equalizing than less.
On the 3rd link, it seemed to tow very well (maybe all in my head) and I did not get any slippage.

Does using the 2nd link vs the 3rd link make that much of a difference? I have a Reese type 3 hitch.

Thanks.
The fact that it rides better and you get better front wheel drive performance would suggest to me that 3 is a much better number of links than two in the set up. And don't be embarrassed about this experiment. The guy who told you about the links never drove the vehicle.

However, the real answer is not in links, but rather in pounds. It's always a good idea to be sure we are working all the axles of our vehicles with the WDH. To do that, we need to have them weighed on the truck scale (with and without the trailer) so that we know for sure what and where the loads are.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote