View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
ng2951

Quote:
...One immediate con for my DW is she loses a handrail for her bad knee.
I have kept this post in mind. Last week I went by CW (Camping World) and looked at handrails. CW has a couple of handrails that would easily fill the bill (for not too many bills).

When I get the shells adjusted in June at TM, I am going to get TMs eyeball judgement on this mod. If they cannot find some serious fault (I might have to add a stiffener or the like), I am going to install that exterior handrail.

The negative I see on the handrail is that it would be mounted somewhat higher than normal. It seems most logical to put it on the upper (outer) shell just to the left of the doorway. However, you could also mount one on the lower left, exterior doorjam. If you do that, the handle must be far enough towards the jam hinge so that you can secure the door when you close the TM.

The other question is which type of handrail. The lower profile one would look better, but I think the one you have to fold down would be more functional. Either way they real problem are that these handles are going to be a little higher than you would want, but other than that would still serve.

I am still working that out in my head. If I could attach the folding unit such that one leg was on upper (outer) shell and the other leg was on the lower (inner) shell that would be almost perfect. The problem is figuring out some flush locking attachment that would make the railing secure when deployed and removable when closed.

Comments???