View Single Post
Old 07-04-2023, 09:45 PM   #5
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Welcome back from your adventure, Stephene!

I've replaced my Thetford toilet, but recall my TrailManor (a 2021 model) coming from the factory with tiny shims under the front toilet feet made of what looked like stacks of a few layers of laminate (vinyl) flooring.

My wife and I found the scrap-size pieces of laminate floor mysteriously show up on the bathroom floor one trip and didn't immediately realize that they were shims....but noticed that the Thetford seemed loose during that trip. After getting home and thinking I simply needed to tighten the brass toilet flange bolts, it dawned on me that the shims had come out and needed to be reinstated under the two front feet before tightening down the toilet retaining bolts. If I didn't look at those little squares of laminate flooring under extremely bright light, I'd never have seen the faint circle indentations and would have had no clue that they were shims and just have chalked them up as construction trash from the time the camper was built.

You don't happen to recall if you found similar small squares of laminate floor do you?

What I believe happened is that you had shims, too. The shims came out and your toilet has rocked enough from being loose to cause the damage that you've seen to the flange.

I'm not sure, from your description, if the flange has come completely apart from the down pipe below or not.

If I recall correctly; it's the toilet flange's cemented connection to the down pipe, the silver screws into the floor, and expanding foam insulation which all work to hold the toilet flange in place.

I don't know if your toilet flange connection to the down pipe is still viable or not...but if it is, you may be able to clean out some of the expanding foam insulation from underneath your TrailManor (using an ice pick or something similar) and after removing your toilet use a wooden block and rubber mallet to try to slowly/gently tap the flange back down to floor level. You'd need to figure out a way to re-screw the flange screw which has lifted and replace the spray foam insulation before reinstalling the toilet.

Can you share more about what the toilet flange looks like (maybe with a picture) and if the "lost shims" scenario makes sense?

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote