View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
Axeman

Default Blowout/Tire Separation

On our way to Colorado last month for a 2 ½ week camping trip we experienced our first blowout. It wasn’t worst case scenario, but close. I-40 just west of Amarillo, semi traffic extremely heavy rolling by at 75 mph, temp in the mid-30s, raining and 25+ mph wind. We couldn’t make it to an exit and it was muddy, wet and miserable on the side of the road. If the blowout had been the street side, I would have considered it worst case. Fortunately, it was on the curbside.

I was aware that blowouts are fairly common on TTs and thought I was prepared. I check the pressure frequently. We were equipped with a TPMS, portable compressor/inflator, bottle jack, decent lug wrench, tarp, etc. and had done a dry run of retrieving the spare, jacking up the trailer, and removing the fender skirt. Unfortunately, I stopped short of actually removing the tire during the dry run. When we had the blowout, I found that 2 of the lug nuts were overtightened and couldn’t be removed. After an hour of effort, I contacted roadside assistance (which I should have done in the first place, but incorrectly thought I could handle it quicker). Another 90 minutes and they arrived and got the tire changed with the assistance of a pneumatic impact wrench.

The issue was caused by the center of the tread separating from the tire (1st photo). The tires were stock from the factory (GlobalTrax), about 2 years old. As you’d expect, the TPMS didn’t alert us until the tire failed as there wasn’t a significant loss of pressure prior to that. However, it did make us aware that the “noise” we heard was a serious tire issue and we needed to get off the road. Otherwise, we likely would have trashed the rim. The separated tread damaged the underside of the trailer immediately behind the tire (see the tread imbedded through the TM skin in 2nd photo), caused some damage to the side of the trailer (3rd photo), took out the fender skirt and trim on the bottom edge of the TM body.

Obviously, not a great start to our trip. Discount Tire in Amarillo only had one brand of the correct size (Hartland), which was not want I wanted, but calls to other shops didn’t turn up anything better. It was getting late, so we went with it so we could be on our way in the morning. It turned out to be a great trip with a really ugly start.

Current activities include:

Shopping for a new set of tires (leaning towards Maxxis, but possibly GY Endurance). Thinking of purchasing 2 and using the Hartland as the spare. Any opinions on that approach?

Preparing to install the new factory plumbing guard and fender skirt that arrived from TM over the weekend.

Considering whether to make a trip to the factory for repairs and some minor warranty work or trust the work to a new TM dealer much closer to home. Anyone have any experience with repairs at the factory?

Considering installing diamond plate on the underside of the TM directly behind the curbside tire after the skin is repaired.

Thanks,
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blow Out Tire.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	19582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blow Out Damage - TM Underside 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	19583   Click image for larger version