View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Bowfreak

Thanks. Heading out to the shop to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Let's start with one thing. If the pilot flame lights (meaning that the meter moves into the green), then propane is reaching the refrig. There is no further need to worry about the propane supply, or purging the lines, or lighting the stove, or anything similar.

Your refrigerator is probably in the N300.3 series. The problem is a harmless (but annoying) loose connector. Relevant info from Norcold is at the very bottom of the page cited above. It is not related to the scary 1200 series burner-corrosion problem at the top of the page.

Norcold had a problem with loose electrical connectors. Just that simple. If you write to Norcold and complain, they will send you a couple new wires with tighter connectors. You must install them yourself.

I told Ken - and I will tell you the same thing - that you can tighten the connectors yourself, or you can install the new Norcold connectors, but either way, you must do the following.

1. Disconnect all power from the trailer. Unplug shore power, and disconnect the trailer battery (easiest way is to pull the fuse in the battery red wire).
2. Remove the refrig door. How? At the very top of the hinge side is a big silvery hex screw head with a screwdriver slot in it. Unscrew it, remove it, and the door will come off. Set it aside where it won't be damaged.
3. Look at the edges of the front of the refrig. Up and down each side, you will see three or four screws. These hold the refrig into the kitchen cabinet. Remove them.
4. Pull the refrig 3 or 4 inches toward you, into the room. This may require lifting it 1/4 inch to clear the wood molding strip along the floor. Once you have pulled the refrig out a bit, this will expose the rotary switch at the top right - the one that selects ELEC/|BATTERY/GAS/OFF - and all the wires that are connected to it.
5a. One by one, pull off each wire. The connector looks like the attached photo, though the insulation may not be yellow, or may be missing entirely. Squeeze the folded-over portion of the connector just a bit with pliers (don't flatten it!), and push it back on. Pushing it on should require moderate, but not bone-crushing, force. If it slips on easily, it is not tight enough.
. . . OR
5b. If you have new wires from Norcold, this is where you remove the old wires and push on the new ones.
6. When you have done every wire, push the refrig back into cabinet, replace the screws you removed from each edge, and replace the door.

That's all there is to the repair. It duplicates the Norcold recall repair. It has worked for a number of owners, including me. Note that the recall is by Norcold, not TM, and the repair should be performed by a Norcold retailer. Since the refrig is warrantied by Norcold, and not by TM, I doubt that a TM dealer will perform the repair for free, though if your dealer is close by, you might want to inquire.

Bill
Bowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote