View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question "Camper" or "Travel Trailer"...how do you categorize your TM?

Over the past couple of years, I've seen a lot of folks here make reference to their "campers" when referring to their TMs...and then it turns out that many have never "camped" in anything but a full-service RV Park, complete with all the sundries and amenities of a full-fledged resort.

And then there are some folks like me...who only refer to their TM as a "camper" when the tongue is firmly in lodged in the cheek. This despite using it almost exclusively in primitive Forest Service campgrounds that are devoid of almost all amenities except (at most) a pit toilet and a source of potable water. Many's the time I've camped where I've had to tote my water from an old-fashioned pump-handle well and, if I wanted an evening campfire, a wood gathering trip through the surrounding forest was necessary. IOW, pretty much the type of campgrounds where the pioneers in their Conestoga wagons would have felt right at home.

Yet, to me, my 2720SL with it's full bath, full kitchen, queen bed, hot/cold running water, furnace (with programmable digital thermostat!), and especially a comfy front living room is a lot closer to being a "travel trailer" than a "camper". I'm confident that if I didn't take the tongue-in-cheek approach to calling my TM a "camper", my Colorado friends with their popup tent trailers...or those who actually camp with just a tent...would laugh me right out of the state. Perhaps if I had one of the front bed models (e.g. 2619) with their closer resemblance to a traditional popup camping trailer, I could get away with calling it a "camper".....nah, my friends would still be laughing their heads off.

So, out of curiousity, how do you all categorize your TMs? Be sure to mention which model it is and what kind of "campground" (primitive or full-service/all hookups RV Park) you normally use it in.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote