View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I agree that TM should simplify their number of offerings. Do only what they do best, which is to make popup trailers. The Elkmont was a disaster, especially for their reputation. Make a 26, maybe 2 27s, and one larger model. Fix the toilet controversy by putting in a cartridge Thetford, which could easily be done, although it couldn't be emptied with the shell collapsed. Big deal. There is a viable need for a trailer like the TM, and there is no competition. Just make them and don't diversify the product line. Just my opinion...
I agree Scott O.

Many years ago I had a long conversation with a friend who was a business consultant. His job was to go into a company, analyze its products, costs, and profits, and then recommend changes if necessary.

What he would do was to do a cost/profit analysis for each product the company made. If a line was a money loser, he recommended dropping it. In other words, make what earns profits, drop what loses money. One of the companies he analyzed was International Harvester, which adjusted its product lineup accordingly.

TM has been a small family owned company. I doubt seriously if they have thought this way in the past. How many MBA's do they have on their staff? My guess is none.

I suspect the Elkmont was the killer product. Not because it is a bad idea but with people bringing their trailers back for repair and outright demands for their money back, their reputation was hurt badly.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote