View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Is there a "Golden Age" of TM quality? I read on this forum about some people's concerns about the present quality of newer units. I just wondered if there is a period of production for example 2003-2007 which had high quality.
TrailManors are remarkably similar over the years, and that can make buying used a pretty good deal. Apparently there were some new model issues with the early Elkmonts, but I would expect that the factory hasn't changed the output quality much over the years. The more stuff in the RV, the more stuff there is to keep running!

I'm a fan of as little wood as possible, having fought those battles on other RV's in the good old days. TM has been steadily reducing the use of wood, so I'd be thinking 2003 or so and later (in the drier climates, this may be less of an issue). Obviously, the newer ones have higher values and have less wear and tear on everything.

Mine is as solid as the day it was new (unlike any other RV I have ever owned after it was 5 years old). I bought it on Ebay from a guy in Georgia, but I'd recommend going through a dealer to people buying their first RV (the many issues in hitching up and fixing things make this handy for a newby). I try to tell others what I might do, instead of telling them what to do, but here's an exception: Regardless of how you buy it, see the demo in YOUR unit before you sign the papers, being prepared to back away if it's being delivered to you in a condition substantially different from what was represented before the sale! In the states I have purchased RV's over the years (IL, MD, GA, & VA) the consumer protection motor vehicle dealer laws about warranties were applicable.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote