View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

An RV is like a car - it loses a lot of value the moment it is driven off the lot. RVs may be worse, in fact. With this in mind, it seems to me he is not marking down the 2008 unit NEARLY enough. You can play around at NADAGUIDES.com and get an idea of how fast these things depreciate. Be careful with this site, and use it as a guide only. Don't go wild checking off Options in the list - the TM has only a few real options - and check off the same options for each year. It says that a 2008 3023 with air conditioner and awning is assigned a value of $19,160. A 2009 3023 equipped the same way is assigned a value of $28,360. So this shows a depreciation of about $9000 in the second year. And you are looking at two years of difference.

As for "only been used once for two weeks by the dealer owner" - well, maybe, maybe not. When my wife bought her fancy-schmancy Saab convertible (this was almost 20 years ago), it had "only been used for a few weeks by the dealer's wife". And yet it was a used car, and the discount off the new price was substantial. It was still pretty high on the used car valuation list, for sure - but it wasn't considered new, or priced as new. With a car, of course, you know how much it has been used - there is an odometer. With a trailer, you have no idea.

Buy the way, have you scrolled through the TM For Sale listings on this site?

Just my thoughts

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote