Thread: 1999 TM sl 2720
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugelboneman View Post
Looking at a pre owned unit. Any insights into the 1999 vintage. Did they have any problems in those years. The floorplan still looks identical to the new ones. This one has a wall air conditioner. Was that stock for the year or would it be an aftermarket. How about sealing of walls and lift mechanisms. Have they been the same all along. Any input greatly appreciated to help me make a decision.
We have a '98 2720 (traveled 2200 miles to get it). We've only had it for a few months so I don't profess to be any kind of expert. However, there are a few things that I can help you with.

The basic structure hasn't changed much. The torque arms and most materials used on the shells and body are basically the same, except the later ones don't use wood in the outer framing of the shell. I haven't heard or seen any problems with that but I am sure that it has the potential for wood-rot in the event of a water leak. Mine seems to be fine. Of course, it's pretty hard to tell if there is a problem or not. The shell could have tremendous wood-rot without showing any sign until the shell suddenly buckles but (again), I'm not aware of that happening.

The factory AC on the '99 2720 was in the side, right next to the stove. The factory unit is pretty pathetic. It seems that they came with a 7 or 8,000BTU AC that is not adequate to cool the trailer on hot or humid days. I installed a 10,000BTU AC in our TM when we first bought the trailer. It works great!!!. You can see the installation here. I used the same space that the factory did because it was all set-up for it.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...itioner&page=2

Having said all that, we love our camper but we are still looking for the right deal on a local 2003-2006 2720SD. Not that there is anything wrong with this one. We just thought that we might like to move up to our "Last" camper soon. We are in our 60's and I don't want to have to be looking to buy in another 3-5 years and having to give this one away (then being 15 years-old). We will retire in a few years and we plan to travel for a year before settling down in our new home in Fallbrook California.

I hope that you find a unit that you like. They are truly a great camper for some. They're not for everybody though.

Wayne