View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
dorayme

I hope that this is not too old for your original post. I have a one and two year old. We purchased our used TM this summer but have yet to take it camping due to the fact that we're still gearing up. Both of our boys are climbers and ALL BOY and they LOVE our TM. It has been in our driveway since we purchased it and occassionally we go out to do things in the camper and they both want to go into it as much as possible.
Anyway, back to the topic. We have decided to do a few things to make camping toddler friendly. We got 2 adjustable bed rails that we use on the front double sized bed in our TM23 (like the 2720 model to make the boy's "room" The rails go across the entire bed side to make a barrier so that they don't fall out. ($14 for both from garage sale and consignment store) These rails tuck under the mattress and raise and lower on a hinge. They have a mesh view through side. We can put toys up there for them, and the dinette serves as a step down for them to get down (moreso for our 2 yo). We co-sleep with our 1yo so we don't use this for his bed, we haven't decided as to whether or not we'll use this for our 2yo's bed or just a dinette since it's much lower, but by having the rails, it's safer for him. I would recommend that this be for supervised play and not for a "playpin" there are gaps and you need to always watch small children to ensure that they do not become entrapped. . .
We purchased an inflateable pool, large enough for us to get into as well when they went on discount at the end of the summer season. I think for a 6ft. diameter pool it cost $7 and it's a nice quality one. We got a large tote (garage sale find for $2 for their toys that we'll tow along. And we've also gotten a bike trailer so that we can take them when we go biking. (Consignment sale $35 for little tikes unit that doubles as a jog stroller.) Finally we purchased a Play Hut pop up tent room for about $50 from the QVC outlet store. It's huge (7ft sided hexagon) and provides a shaded bug shelter. It will be a great outdoor room for times when we need to stay close to the camper but don't want to be inside. There is plenty of room to set up our picnic table inside, and the pool and have room for their little scooter ride on toys as well. You may be thinking why do they have a screen room for outdoors, well I'm not as outdoorsy as some, though I love the idea of camping, babies are more sensative to the sun, and both my boys have really bad reactions from bug bites so we prevent them as much as possible, plus it gives a second very large space to be in while camping. With kids a trailer gets small quick if you have to be in it for any amount of time.