View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
camperboy

Default Re:Towing TM with VW Touareg V8

I strongly suggest the WDH. Here's why.

The built in leveling system doesn't help to get the weight back onto the front wheels of the vehicle, but rather it simple levels the ride off. The lever point of the rear axel has not been changed, and weight will still be taken off the front axel. The geometry hasn't changed.

The way that I understand this myself is it visualize a board (TV), resting on sawhorses (placed as axels). Now one more horse and board for the TM. Put too much weigh on on extreme end of the "TV" board (tongue weight) and the other end lifts up. The spring bars push the tonque weight across the pivot points making the boards stable. One horse being slightly higher or lower than the other won't change things much. As you have seen most people here favor a WDH.

For what it's worth I notice the most effect of the lack of WDH with the TM during emergency braking. The fronts tend to plow and the anti-lock kick in. Take note of braking characteristics with and without the TM. See posts by RockyMtnRay for really in depth discussions on this with he Cherokee and TM.

I credit our WDH (Equalizer) with preventing a wrech this past summer. We were sharply cut off by another vehicle and only avoided a collision by panic braking and swerving sharply into the left (thankfully it was empty!) land. I think that without the WDH we'd have spun out as a result of too little traction of the front tires of the truck.

That said, let us know how it works out. And keep in mind that just because it feels OK without doesn't mean that it might not feel the next step to "great" with the WDH. Do you have the option of trying it both ways?

Just my 2 cents.
Camperboy