View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Towing TM with VW Touareg V8

[quote author=grkman1 link=board=20;threadid=1565;start=msg11059#msg1105 9 date=1070898105]
I Just purchased a 2003 VW Touareg V8 with the adjustable air suspension. This suspension has an automatic leveling control system also. The Touareg can tow approx 7700 pounds.

My question is, would anyone know if I would still need the weight distribution hitch on the Touareg as I needed with my Jeep Grand Cherokee? It would make life a bit easier not having to deal with the hitch bars.

Thanks
George
[/quote]

Yes, you definitely should use it...especially given the vagaries concerning the Touareg's maximum hitch weight. The Touareg is not that much different in wheelbase from the GC (both are around 110 inches)...and wheelbase has a lot to do with whether or not a trailer will tend to make the front of the tow vehicle light or not. And front lightness has a lot to do with steering effectivness. Furthermore, the Touareg's rear suspension is going to last a lot longer if some of your TM's hitch weight is transferred to the Touareg's front wheels.

My Tundra has a theoretical tow rating of 7200 lbs (halfway between the GC's and Touareg's)...and it has a substantially longer wheelbase (128 inches) than either of those SUVs. Nonetheless, I most certainly will be using a WD hitch with it next year.

Yes, a WDH is a bit of extra nuisance when hooking/unhooking but in my engineering-type mind, the advantages in suspension loading, steering effectiveness, and braking effectiveness on the tow vehicle greatly outweigh the nuisance factor. Since you already own a WDH, my strong recommendation is to use the bars and do the weight distribution properly.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote