View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 AM   #2
efelker

Default Re:Towing TM with VW Touareg V8

George:

There was a "raft" of discussion on the Edmund's Forum about the Touareg, and what's it's "real" tow capacity. Did you get it with the hitch? If so, check the label and see what class it is. There was a picture on one of the Edmund's posting showing it as a Class II not a Class III hitch. Also check your owners manual. Apparantly the "real" consideration for the TReg is not that 7700 lbs, but the fact that the tongue weight is limited to about 616 lbs. That's going to put you pretty close for a fully loaded TM even though the total capacity will be well under the 7700 lbs (like around 4000 to 4500). Finally, can a brake controller (like a Prodigy) be connected to the hitch wiring? Would not EVER want to tow a camper with electric brakes without a controller.

I was considering a TReg myself, but given I could not get any straight answers from VW on the real capacity for towing, I decided to pass. Sorry I can't provide you a whole lot of info, but since you bought one, I'd sure be interested in what your owner's manual says & what VW says about equipping it to tow an approximate 4000 lb camper.

Do you already own a TM?

EF