Thread: Kumho blowout!
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Dee - Yes, you are correct. The tread did separate, but didn't detach as it did in the first one. So it wasn't the ultimate test, I agree, but there were lots of pieces of rubber on the cage, and I saw a bunch fly off in the mirror as we pulled over.

Also, I forgot to add -- the dealer where I bought the 15"ers took my 14" Maxxis spare I had just bought and by this time had about 5 miles on it. In exchange, he gave me one of the 15" 225's at no charge.

To answer the other questions:

brulaz - Yes, the axle is not welded to the same point on the left and right sides. They are off by an inch. Check out this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6078. Given I will be at the factory next week, I may bring this up again in person.

wayne / Francis - The valve stems are not the old 100% rubber ones. There is a rubber seal around the rim, but then there is a metal stem coming out of the seal. They are rated for at least 100 psi, and maybe 125. A closeup view of the stem of here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...stem#post41145

Robert - Yes, my TM is stored outside, but in between 2 houses. Being that we live in SoCal, "in between 2 houses" means there is about 3-4 feet tops between each side of the TM and a house, one of which is 2 story. That means the tires see very little sun, so I don't think the failures were a result of UV damage.

Dave
I'm sorry that this happened. It must have been very stressful but I am glad that you upgraded and will most likely have a worry free rest of your trip.

My hunch is the 15" tires should last you a good 5 years with no concerns.

I'm going to upgrade soon......... I just have to recover from spending $500 on a PowerCaster PC2 trailer mover....... I like it but it suuuuuuuuuuuure iiiiiiiiiiis sllllloooooooooooooooowwwww.