View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Yeah, Toyota says that they have "the same towing capacity". Don't believe it-- the Taco is a body-on-frame truck, Rav4 is unibody and NOT built for towing. Toyota would love to sell you the "upgraded hitch" with 4 bolts as part of the towing package, but the "standard" hitch bolts to the same frame and the two bolts are BIG. It's good for way more than 3500 lbs.

I've owned 'em both, you know.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but my Highlander has a 6 bolt hitch attachment, and all 6 of them installed just fine with a standard Hidden Hitch receiver into the the standard Toyota nuts welded to the frame (and no, I wouldn't think it's a good idea to do this with just a 2 bolt hitch receiver, no matter who makes it).

Look, I agree that the 4-Runner is probably a better tow vehicle, particularly where you live at 6000+ feet, and I'm not knocking the Tacoma. We might visit your elevation once in awhile, but we promise not to be there before your last snowfall in May and we'll be outta there before your first one in September.

The issue is whether most people (living as they do in states with a maximum elevation that's a lot lower than your garage floor) could enjoy towing a TrailManor with a 2008 RAV-4. The 2008 RAV-4 weighs more than my Highlander, has a higher Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, has both a higher horsepower and GCWR, and neither of us probably knows too much about how many bolts it's hitch receiver attaches with.

I'm not getting what a unibody has to do with it unless you're planning to need more mounting holes somewhere. If somebody needs a truck, great, but that doesn't mean the rest of us do. I think we should leave the 2008 RAV-4 people alone unless we know about someone who's actually driven one, or even better, actually towed something with it.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote