View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #29
YNPKing

Default Provider ST215/75R14 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D

I'm looking to replace the tires on my 2014 TM 2417 Sport that came with Marathon ST215/75R14 LR C. These tires have been great for 3 trips out west from Florida with no incidents. I always inflate to maximum inflation pressure which is possibly why I haven't experienced problems. Does anyone have experience with Provider ST215/75R14 LR D with Nylon Overlay from etrailer.com? https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...M2157514D.html

I'm not interested in 15" tires but upgrading from LR C to LR D with overlay would be a welcomed option. My TM was purchased new with all the heavy options and I carry additional cargo, water, 2 bikes on factory hitch, etc. Camping ready, the CAT scale shows total trailer wt at 3880 lbs and with only the axle on the scale at 3400 lbs. With the actual axle wt plus wheels/tires over 200 lbs, that means my axle load is less than 3200 lbs with AL-KO axle load carry capacity of 3500 lbs so no concern there.

To protect from sidewall flexing and heat build up leading to failure, it is recommended to inflate trailer tires at or near maximum inflation pressure. With new tires, it means I would be changing the tire pressure from 50 psi to 65 psi. What has the condition of a trailer been with a similar size tire at 65 psi? I don't want loosen the trailer screws, etc. with shake, rattle, and roll. Would the trailer ride change significantly at 50 psi versus 65 psi if the tires are at maximum inflation pressure? Would the axle absorption compensate for the higher psi tire. Has anyone tried this eTrailer Provider tire?