View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
LiveTicker

Pricing is a fascinating subject (which may be why I make a living by daytrading and arbitrage).

The price reflects hope, greed, fear, despair, supply, demand, shortages, etc. TrailManor prices also reflect seasonal prices, condition (some folks LIVED in their TM for years at trailer parks), location, etc.
Many sellers start with a high price hoping to find someone who doesn't know that they can get it elsewhere cheaper.
You may get it cheaper by waiting for the seller to drop the price ... but you run the risk of someone else buying it first and missing the deal.
Some sellers have no clue what price to use and guess based on what they paid for it.

The 2002 TM2720 you are interested in for example: Oodle.com shows a 2006 for $7000 and an older 2004 for $12900, so do your research.

If you like to negotiate or chisel - then bring internet price listings, NADA prices, etc. to show the seller he/she is too high. Also learn what you can about good/bad TMs which helps negotiations OR WALK AWAY from a bad deal.
Having cash and a means to tow it away right now also helps. If you can travel you could save alot.

I got lucky and found my TM on craigslist by searching every area I was initially ready to travel to. I hope it's not tacky to report that I paid under $5000 (including my cost for repairs!).
This was last November which seems to be an off-season. The seller did a poor job of advertizing, it was for sale too long, I brought cash, trucked the 1000 miles, and they were very very motivated to get rid of it.

To address you implied question "Is $13000 a good price?" Thats a hard question to answer and it depends on all of the above and if YOU are happy with the deal.

------------------
Another price comparison test I did is to go to Craigslist.com, then to a major city ...Phoenix for this example, then click RVs, search for "2002" search, then just under search box click "low price".
Now scroll down, skip all the stuff with zero or no price, ignore quads/bikes/flatbeds/5thwheels.

What you are looking for are what price range are roughly 27 foot travel trailers built in 2002? (Remember a TM folds and should be worth more.)
Today Craigslist shows: travel trailers starting at $5500, some at 8-9K, 27 ft Fleetwood Prowler for 11K, the highest price travel trailer (NOT class A/B/C/5thwheel) is a $13900 28ft toy hauler .

------------------
And of course check Ebay and closed auctions for what really sold and at what price.
Now go find your new TM and have fun camping!