Thread: Undecided....
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
agesilaus

As for the security issue, we have camped for 30 years and have never had anything stolen or felt threatened in all that time. And we spent most of that time in tents and popups. Neither even pretends to be secure.

We have rarely camped within 50 miles of any major metropolis and never in the northeast crime central region. We are planning to camp near Boston this summer and have to confess that the issue has risen to where I'm thinking about it.

That being said I am a 6'2" alpha male type and have little insight into what it is like to be a single female alone.

I would do the modification to lock the two door segments together or get someone to do it for me. It is simple with just drilling a hole and inserting a bolt and wingnut. And, tho I know women and suspect even more so nurses, don't like this idea, I'd get a small handgun and learn to use it. Probably a .380 would be good for most women. Get a concealed weapon permit, if your state allows it. And if they don't, the old saying: "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" still holds.

I'm going to get one for my daughter when she finally moves out.

As for maintenance. A home or apartment still calls for maintenance. They have leaking faucets and troublesome hot water heaters. So I don't know if a TM has that many more problems. The water tanks are probably the biggest added source of trouble and they should be OK if you follow sensible guidelines for them.

All this depends on your personality type tho as someone has already mentioned.

BK