View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbill2720QS View Post
Interested in mods for boondocking and more than a little concerned about the recirculating toilet and its small capacity. Solar panels vs generator for electric for my wife's happiness if not in a full hook-up situatione
Well this is open for a WHOLE lot of reply's and opinions. I suggest you use the search tool and look up boon docking...but i'll give you my personal @.02 but first ask your self these Q's
* Where are you planning on going?
* How long?
* What time of year?
* How many people will be in the trailer?

For me, these q's are
-Usually within a couple hours of the house. ( I live in Northern UT)
-Three days
-Three seasons
-Two

For 95% of the camping I do, my two 6v batteries and a small solar panel keeps me in all the power I need. (I converted all the lights to LED's, and use a small TV for entertainment if its too cold outside). If I plan on camping in a HOT environment I have a generator I can use to cool the TM off in the evening before bedtime, but I don't like to take it if I don't have too. It's heavy, bulky and although fairly quiet it does make noise :mad)

As for the potty Q, unlike others on this forum I have had NO issues with my toilet (Granted, I have only had it out for two three night stays). But I have a portable tote should the need arise...but again, one more thing to carry with us. At our first outing we used the camp potty's for all but the nocturnal necessaries and we didn't even break 1/4 of the tanks capacity. On our second trip for three days, there was no camp potty so all of our adventures were carried out "in-house" and we were just slightly above 1/2 of its max.

I also think your frame of mind and attitude makes a difference. What I mean is.... Are you (or your DW) expecting a mobile motel room with all of the comforts of home...Or are you having a camping adventure. Run out of battery power? No problem, break out the Coleman lantern or candles! Water running low? Skip the shower and use only paper plates and plastic wear. Too warm in the trailer? Make sure all the windows are wide open and sleep "Au Natural".

If your DW expectations are room service and caviar, then by all means do all that you need to do to make her as pampered as you can. I once got great advice from a friend. "If your wife has to everything camping, that she does at home but under austere circumstances, it wont be much of a vacation for her"
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote