View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Steverino

Default Paint wear on aluminum moldings

For the past couple of seasons, I've been noticing that the white paint has worn off of the aluminum exterior moldings in several places where the shells rub a bit as the trailer is pulled along the road. In some of these places the aluminum has also been worn a bit.

Given that she's a 1999, I guess I'm not surprised at some wear, but do have a couple of questions:

1. I assume this is somewhat normal, but maybe something is out of adjustment. Opinions? The shells latch fine, and we use the corner latches as well. They are generally as tight as I feel I can make them without worrying about pulling the screws loose.

2. The worn aluminum particles get on the bag seals a bit and then leaves some streaks as the shells are opened & closed. I could touch up the aluminum trim with some white paint to prevent the transfer, but am certain it would just get rubbed off again. Any other ideas to solve the issue? Maybe some sort of rugged clear or white "sticker"/thin plastic with a self-adhesive back could be placed over the aluminum in key places to prevent the direct friction?

Thanks in advance,

Steve