Thread: Mckesh Mirrors
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Mckesh Mirrors

[quote author=Hal link=board=1;threadid=2021;start=msg14244#msg14244 date=1087240002]
As the straps dried, they seemed to shrink, thus making my mirrors tighter than I had ever been able to get them before. There was almost no vibration of the mirrors as I drove down the highway. Someone, please try soaking the straps before attaching the mirrors to the door and tell me I am not loosing my grip.

[/quote]

Hal, you're not halucinating. The straps on the McKesh mirrors are woven nylon. Nylon is notorious for stretching when wet and shrinking when it dries. Same thing happens when you drive in a rain storm with the McKesh mirrors...as soon as they get wet they will loosen, then hum and vibrate. A few miles after you drive out of the rain, they dry and shrink and the humming/vibrating goes away.

Boat people have a very strong dislike for nylon rope because of its tendancy to stretch when wet and shrink when dry....makes proper tying off of things pretty tricky.

There's a potential danger in overly snugging the McKesh straps when they're wet...when they do dry and shrink they'll put a real strain on the attachment points, especially the rubber seals around the windows.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote