View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Are you telling this person that it is OK to tow with this vehicle or just spouting off? Sounds like you are the one giving "Legal advise" here.

Not referring to this particular poster or circumstances....... If someone were to hit my family car and one of my family were injured or killed and I found out that the vehicle hit us because it were unable to stop due to towing a trailer that the vehicle was not rated to tow, charges would be filed. If this vehicle was a company owned vehicle, that company, the driver, the insurance company and anyone that I could find that advised the driver that is was "OK" would be named in a suit.......trust me.
Harvey,
A friend in the car business told me that durability issues are a big part of the way they rate tow vehicles. Therefore, the tow rating in the owners' manual is not just about safety. Your point that the company is always involved in a company car is a good thing to consider, but both they and the RV driver are presumably insured like every vehicle and driver should be.

I'm usually very careful not to tell other people what to do, though I occasionally offer an opinion about what I think I might do in a similar circumstance. I don't think I told this minivan driver anything I'd have to apologize for in a court of law or elsewhere. I'm not a lawyer, but the law is written in English and available for us to learn things. I don't think I went beyond Civics 101 in my post.

However, I could have been more civil, and I apologize for my choice of words. My objection remains to your suggestion that the driver of a moderately overweight RV risks being charged with criminal negligence, simply because I don't believe such a thing could be easily determined and therefore such a case has probably never happened. If there is something you know, please share it. Otherwise it's wrong to be telling people these things.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote