View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
mtnguy

OK, here goes my $.02 worth also.

As I wrote a post previously in this thread, I think it is important to weigh your TV and TM to see how the WDH works your setup. Even though I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup, I wanted to get the geometry back close to an "partial bed load" for my truck. Ideally, if you load a truck, the weight center should be immediately in front of the rear axle.....that is why they put the hook-up for a 5th wheel trailer just in front of the rear axle. Most of the weight is taken by the rear axle, but a little is taken by the front axle also, to keep the geometry of the vehicle somewhat proportionally the same. Because of a trailer is hanging behind the back bumper, the WDH will act to get this back to a "compromise postion".....putting some weight back on the front axle and the TM axle.

In my case, with a 480 lb. tongue weight (that includes ~65 lbs of WDH), my front end is only 80 lbs. lighter (vs. 220 lbs. lighter without the WDH), my rear axle is 440 lbs heavier, and the TM axle is 120 lbs heavier (now at 3040 lbs. loaded, but without water) than without the WDH. I have the front axle near the empty weight, most of the weight is on the rear axle (as it should be in a truck), and a little more weight on the TM axle. I feel this is a good compromise. When I add camping gear to this setup, I load the heavy stuff in the front of the pickup bed, again to add a little more weight to the front axle, with most of the weight still being on the rear axle.

Again, just had to add my $.02 worth.

Chap