View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Eric

IMO you may have less of a problem than you think because you are towing with a pickup. As I've said before, most rear-wheel-drive SUVs have close to equal weight on their front and rear axles sitting empty while pickups have several (varies) hundred lbs more on their front than rear axle when empty. You can therefore add whatever your difference is on the rear axle and still start even with the SUVs. There are overhang and other differences however so it won't be exactly the same situation but close. I agree with whoever said you need to weigh your Tacoma loaded and go from there. We have a 600lb Equal-i-zer and I agree they are not as easily adjusted as the chained ones because you have to loosen and raise/lower the "L" pieces -- but once you do that you are set -- assuming you travel with a similar load each time. If you are carrying a 1000lb ORV in the back of your truck some times and not others then you will have to adjust more often. I also agree with your assessment that distributing that kind of weight may overload your TM axle and I suspect you will be better off to let the Tacoma remain low in the back and distribute only part of the weight -- not a good situation but sometimes there are no good choices. Then again, your 600lb WDH is possibly only capable of distributing maybe 200lbs to the TM's axle regardless of what you do so you may be safe anyway. We started out with a 400lb WDH when we were towing our 2619 with an Odyssey minvan for this very reason but once we traded for the Tundra and my wife started sneaking in more books etc the 400 would no longer lift the tongue to fully level. Weighing everthing loaded should clear up much of this. Just my $0.02. I might add that we will be traveling for the next three weeks and probably off the net so enjoy my absence.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote