View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Goodyear Travels

Thank you all for your responses. You've given me still more things to ponder. I, for one, set up my Equalizer hitch without fully loading my TV or TM. In so doing, I redistributed the tongue weight generated by our empty TM. BUT -- then I go and add another 700 lbs or so to the TV (people, dogs, and gear in the bed). Some folks could have even greater loads with 3 or 4 passengers. Wouldn't a third or so of this additional weight necessarily be distributed BACK to TM's rear axle. For this reason, the geometry doesn't seem to change much (empty or with loads) as long as the WDH is being utilized -- from what I've witnessed (both the TV and the TM seem to remain pretty level under load -- because all the additional weight has been distributed to 3 axles). We tend to think that overloading only happens by adding gear to our TM's. But our WDH's work both directions -- don't they? They distribute the TM's tongue weight (forward and back) -- but they also must distribute the TV's passenger and gear weight (forward and back) -- especially if the WDH was set up without all loads being present ??? It kind of makes sense to me but I was watching girls back in high school physics. I wonder now -- if those folks with high rates of tire failures did their WDH setups without full or simulated loads in their TV's and TM's. Maybe all of this might shed some light on some of the axle failures. And Bill -- I'm watching you like a hawk. You and a few others are going to get all of this figured out in the near future. I'm sure of it. Until then -- I'll be driving slowly through the desert and avoiding "rumble strips", "whoop-tee-dos, and the like. Eric