View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Eric -

The redistribution effects WILL show up if you weigh your rig axle-by-axle, but as you note, it will NOT change the total weight of the Tacoma plus TM. The load redistribution is real, and weight will come off the rear axle and be split between the Tacomas's front axle and the TM axle.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the extra weight that the WDH puts on the TM axle. The increase is nominally 1/3 of the tongue weight, or maybe 150 pounds. While I haven't actually measured the difference, I'm not convinced that the split is really in exact thirds. So maybe 100 pounds. While this is not negligible, it is not a disaster, either, provided that the total weight of the TM is reasonable. And in my opinion, the WDH adds steering-and-handling safety that it is more important than the extra load on the TM tires. Of course I am referring to cars that need a WDH, including my Ford Explorer. Osita, Joseph's pampered Chevy 2500 is a pretty big vehicle, and may not need one.

As for the increase caused by flexing of the springbars as you cross dips and swales, I've had the same question in my mind, and I just don't know the answer. If I understand the geometry correctly, driving through a swale DOES increase the distribution onto the TM wheels. But I have no idea how much. Anyone?

And as for momentary stresses, I'm thinking that one of the worst sources is the rumble strip that seems to be carved into the outside edge of the lane on every Interstate highway. If you drift over for just a couple seconds, your tires will take 50 or 100 hammer-blows before you can pull back into the center of the lane. And in some construction areas, you have no choice but to drive on the rumble strip for fairly long distances. When I encounter this situation, I slow way down, although it doesn't make me very popular.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote