View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The Dodge Durango is a longer version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have the 2015 6-cyl with the class IV tow package, with the strange contributions of Fiat having bought Chrysler: a Mercedes-designed chassis and a Porsche-designed 8-speed transmission in a relatively economical US-manufactured vehicle. AWD rather than 4WD (meaning no transaxle shifter). Fluidic level-equalizing shocks.

Tows my 3023 so well I can forget it's there. I turn off eco-mode so that it starts from 1st gear instead of 2nd. When I don't forget. I am using a Blue Ox WDH with 550 lb bars.

Got over 18 MPG heading from Ashland, OR to Chico, CA the other day. Got 17.4 MPG on average for a big loop from the SF Bay up to Oregon on the coast and then back through the central valley. I often get worse mileage driving without the trailer, I guess because I go faster, but it gets about 20 mpg if I don't speed or run air conditioning. Also, the trailer might take the load off of the alternator - it's got 400 watts of solar panels running back there.