View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Tampajohn

Interesting Thread. We are thinking along the same lines as you. Currently we are pulling with an old Isuzu and the towing capacity is suppose to be 4500 lbs. We have been on the road since Nov. 11 and covered close to 6000 miles. The Isuzu has had it hands full trying to make some of the grades through the mountains. I am still questioning if 5000 lb towing capacity as you mentioned is enough. We carry a lot of extra stuff especially planning on being gone for 4 months. When we get home in April, I am starting the process of searching for a new vehicle. Another thing we are contemplating is the possibility of some point in the future of maybe purchasing an Elkmont if I can find one. (getting tired of setting up the the TM). This again will cause more wind drag. I will follow your thread closely. We will not buy new. Our current gas mileage has ranged from 12 mpg to 15 with wind being a major factor. Wife is concerned about driving a 3/4 ton van, but I am thinking about the van just to provide more storage for us and the dogs especially when on the road for 4 months. I might just keep the old Isuzu since it is not worth much and runs great and possibly buy a passenger van to pull the TM. especially buying used, I think the Durango might be a better buy than the Ford since they are not as popular. I have searched them on Craigslist and found a few which seem to sell for less than the Ford. Transmission is a big concern since I have had to replace two on the Isuzu at $1800 each. Thanks for post and will follow.