View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Traveler

Smile Thanks

The comparison between the HiLo and TM wasn't supposed to be apples to apples! Believe me, we are well aware of what living in a 14' box is like versus the TM. Didn't mean to make it sound like they are supposed to be anywhere near similar.

The tire thing - Thanks, I will have to check rating on these particular tires. I do know from talking with tire reps in the past that some of the max ratings are put there by their attorneys, but we generally do not travel at posted highway speeds when towing anyway. I had a blowout with the HiLo at 60 going downhill and it followed like a kitten. The tire shredded and took out part of the wheel well tho - easy duct tape fix!

I know the setup will get easier - just today I got lots of practice by forgetting to unlatch the slide out, then not putting the velcro seals up, then not sliding the chair out of the way - sigh.

One problem (?) I noticed and worked on: The top shell does not touch the bottom shell when the TM is folded all the way down and latched. I tried adjusting the side latches to make the bottom shell latch as high as it would go, and the top as low - but still have a good 1/2" gap between them. Any ideas would be appreciated - I fairly handy in fixing things. The nearest dealer is 200+ miles away.

Getting the shells to latch is a real bugger too: I weigh, well let's just say > 200 lbs and even bouncing in the stirrups takes a while to get the shells to latch. Is this an adjustment problem of the torsion bars?

We've been lurking here for almost a year - and plan to join very soon. I do appreciate all the tips and 'howdys', and hope to see you at our favorite campground (Bastendorf, Oregon) sometime!

Glen and Laleh