View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Traveler

Default HiLo sold - Trailmanor Owners now !

Finally made it!

Loved our little (17') HiLo while the kids were growing up. Now that they are not vacationing (as much) we decided that we needed a larger - don't ask for the logic - trailer. Saw a Trailmanor in camp one day, and been waiting for one for sale ever since.

Two days ago we got a 2001 31'KS, and only had to drive 700 miles each way to snag it!

Some comments so far, and understanding that we have only towed the Trailmanor, not camped yet, and are not whining, just our first impressions:

Compared to the HiLo the build quality is about the same - although the TM feels less 'solid'. The TM is more of a pain to set up - and there are more spaces for critters to come in. HiLos are heavy; a 31' HiLo comes in at 5,720 lbs base weight, but if they were the same weight as the TM for the same length - we would have another HiLo just for the setup time. But they aren't - thus the TM.

Not trashing the TM at all - heck we bought it! Love the low weight to length ratio! BUT, when ya gotta potty on a long stretch, or just want to have a quick lunch, the HiLo sets up in 20 seconds.

Lots more storage in the TM - but take the differences in length into account. We are lost wandering around in the TM compared to the 13.5' interior of the HiLo !

Tow vehicle: Volkswagon Touareg, 6 cyl, 236 HP, 6 speed selectronic trans, all wheel drive, weighs in at a fat 5200 lbs empty - and is the best vehicle we have ever owned. Tow rating is 7700 pounds, 660 hitch max. Personally, I always cut any tow rating down to 2/3 of stated to be practical.

Towing: Facing the high Santa Anna winds on the way back, and crossing Donner pass (6000 feet plus) from Bakersfield to Sacramento to Reno - got 12.x MPG, when the unloaded tow vehicle would normally get 17-18. The TM followed like a (somewhat heavy) puppy though. I am going to put weight distribution system on - didn't like headlights pointed upwards.

Rest of miles home: Normal MPG would be 19, got 13.7 at 65-70 mph. This is at nearly a mile altitude and temps between 30-40 degrees - over two 1000' passes. Figure about 70% of normal. Our HiLo, which weighed in at about 3,200 pounds, got 15 mpg in summer, so figure it would have gotten 14 in colder temps. Yep it will also tow fine at 80 mph too - no we won't be doing that at these gas prices!

Reading through manual tonight I stumbled across the "Winterize" section and, like a shot from a cannon, was out opening all drains, hot water heater, pump disconnect - remembered it will get to single digits tonight! Whew - close one!!! Got all water out before it froze too far.

Things we like so far: Space - lots and lots of space! Nice looking. Storage and counter space! An actual couch and chair to sit in! Low profile (like HiLo), hardsides (almost), bigger bathroom, an oven, bigger (fixed) bed, did I mention space???

Things we have to get used to: The Potty - you knew we would say that! We wonder whether it will explode, or what happens when we flush, and where DO all those solids go, and what is that blue 'water' anyway, and does it act like a 'blender' if you get my drift, and...????

Also, less security (a skinny kid can climb in the end under the velcro flap), the feel of the TM is a bit less solid than a HiLo (probably the construction materials), set-ups taking much longer, having to climb (literally!) into bed (wife is 5'4"), the length towed (already, ahem, drove trailer tires over a curb), not being the center of attention in a group of large motor coaches (try setting up a 17' HiLo next to a $300,000 rolling palace sometime - got attention with the whine of the hydraulic lift system!), lots of non-sealed openings/gaps that will let bugs in (sides bow out near bed, yep, I gotta get working on those the wife says!), tables too small (big sticking point with wife - will make new larger table ), fighting to get doors to latch right (another small 'fixit' job). We realize that it is a used unit and some things will require maintenance - luckily my wife's husband has a never ending 'honey do' list.

Overall, we got lucky with the price on this one - were looking for a used 27SL but none were near us, and some that we tried to buy were snatched up by others quickly. We actually were going to go look at a 33', and am I glad we got the 31 instead: didn't realize how big inside they are compared to our HiLo. Besides, with our tow vehicle this is about as large as we want to go and still be able to accelerate and travel at reasonable speeds.

Overall we are still somewhat dazed that a) our search is finally over, b) the size inside, c) letting go of the HiLo and good times we had, d) after all this trouble - can't camp with the TM 'cause it's too darn cold!!

We look forward to many happy days camping in the new 'long house' !

Glen and Laleh