View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Steverino

Default Re:Honda Pilot - Tow Capacity; per Honda America

I don't necessarily disagree with anything said here, and Denny did a great job with the research. The outcome, of course, was predictable - I have had similar experiences when asking manufacturers "outside the box" questions.

Like Denny, I think that the Pilot would do fine with most TM's. I think the prospective owner just needs to use basic judgement. If you tow 3x a year in "average" terrain, you probably don't need large TV. If you tow a lot, and over steep grades, you might want to upsize from a Pilot. Don't forget though, on the really steep grades, most people are going slower (or should be), so aerodynamics don't play as big a role (IMHO). Same thing going downhill. The Pilot is rated for 4,500 lbs. max, and my guess is that when you're going below highway speeds, neither it's brakes nor it's engine will really care whether the trailer is a boat or a TM, as long as you're under the 4,500 and have a proper setup.

Like most of us, any TV also has to double as a daily driver, which (for me) means that I will sacrifice ultimate max towing capacity for other needs. I still think the Pilot represents a balanced choice.