View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
clan_salmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPolo View Post
Bruce and Keith,
I have researched the Anderson "No-Sway" Weight distributing hitch and it looks interesting and a possible suitable "fix". Has anyone here used this hitch and what do you think of it?
Mark
Mark,

I have the Anderson WDH and so far I am generally pleased. We've pulled about 1000 miles with it.

The things I like:
Lighter wieght - total package is about 55 lbs. The shank and ball weigh 28 lbs. Much easier to manage. You'll be amazed how small the shipping box is.
No grease - The ball rotates with the TM.
Very well made - The finish on the aluminum block is just as good as the pictures. The tolerances are tight. Even when it looks like you could flip parts around, it won't fit.
Tight turns - you can turn as tight as you like. No bars or anti-sway devices to hinder you.

The things I like less:
Hitching up - since the ball rotates you have to hitch back up at roughly the same angle you unhitched you TV. Not a problem if you are straight in. If I am going to be at an angle, I drop the chains while I am still straight. Then I park.
Creaking - Not a big issue, but it's occasionally there. Caused by the chains rubbing the frame mount. 1/2 turn of the screw will usually take care of it. Much quieter than the my old WDH even when greased.

I don't think it's any faster to set up than my old WDH.

If you want research, check out this thread on the Airstream forum.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

It now has over 2,000 posts. Real user reports start around #580. I haven't followed it for quite a while, but I see that some people are having issues. Keep in mind that their weights are way higher than anything you will achieve with a TM.

I have to agree with the earlier posts. Something sounds wrong. Before spending money on a hitch I would investigate the other issues first. Once as a test I towed my fully watered 3023 without the WDH. I took it down a familiar but very crooked mountain road and then ran it up to 60+mph on a highway. Absolutely no sway. I use the WDH to level the truck a bit just to keep my headlights out of people's faces.

Stan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote