View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure exactly where you are going with this, and I'm not sure where your 3400 pound dry weight came from - I see 3130 pounds dry. Using the specs on the TM site, I'm finding the following.

RVers have always been taught that the tongue weight of a trailer must be at least 10% of the towed weight. TMers have always been taught that TMs have a higher tongue weight because the TM axle is farther back than it is on most trailers, to make the trailer sway-proof. And TMs do indeed seem to be sway-proof. The price of moving the axle back, of course, is increased tongue weight, and for TMs, the number has been 14% (there is no spec on this, but it is what I, and others, were told at the TM factory years ago). The spec sheet for the 2922 shows that the dry weight - not same as unloaded weight! - is 3130 pounds, and the tongue weight is 434. A few taps on the calculator shows that 434 is 14% of 3130. So the specified tongue weight applies to the specified dry weight - not the loaded weight.

So now what happens when you start loading up the trailer? The spec sheet shows that the Load Capacity is 1350 pounds. So if you load it to the max, the gross towed weight is 4480 pounds. And 14% of 4480 is 627 pounds, which is a whopper of a tongue weight. To keep to a 500 pound tongue weight, you have to keep the loaded weight to about 3600, since 14% of 3600 is 500 pounds. That gives you about 3600-3130 = 470 pounds above dry weight to work with, and much of that is taken up with things like the air conditioner and the awning. I admit that I'm having trouble with this answer, so you might want to confirm it with the factory. They don't have everything quite up to speed yet, and perhaps they use a slightly different definition of "dry weight". But the numbers do seem to be in line with my knowledge of the 2720 series.

I'm not a degreed mechanical engineer - my degrees are elsewhere. I would love to have someone show me a different answer. But this is where I end up. I'm not sure exactly where you are going with this, and I'm not sure where your 3400 pound dry weight came from. But I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that the term "dry weight" includes the propane tanks themselves, since they are not options, but does not include the propane in those tanks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote