View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell View Post
Take inside cover off. Check the 4 screws holding Ac down .Don't over tighten. If this does not work you may need the dealer to replace the rubber seal it is on top of.Best of Luck
Bell is correct. Condensation water happens on the condenser side of the A/C system, on the roof and totally separated from the inside of the camper (when the AC is working correctly) and should not be able to enter the inside of the camper under any circumstances. If it continues, put a bit of red or green food coloring on the inside of the condensation pan. If that colored water is finding it's way to the inside of the camper, the gasket between the A/C upper unit and the roof is leaking (or you have have hole somewhere).

If the water is clear, that means that it is coming from the evaporative side of the A/C unit (the lower part, located inside the camper). This may happen if the filter is restricting the air-flow or the unit is low on freon, causing icing.

The two halves of the A/C unit (outside and inside) are totally separate. No air flows between the two units. The only thing that the two units share is electricity and the flow of freon. NO water should be able to pass between the upper (outside) unit and lower (inside unit). If water could pass between the 2 units, you would have a flood inside the camper every time that you towed in the rain or the wind blew in the rain.

The gasket on the roof should be changed about every 5-years. It's made of a very soft material and it gets hard over time which may cause a leak from the vibration of towing. This is especially prevalent if the camper isn't used for a long period of time. The gasket will take a certain shape and it doesn't like to change. Using the camper often keeps the gasket more pliable.

It's not a big job to replace that gasket. I've done a few of them. In fact, I did my brothers just a few weeks ago. His camper is 6-years old and the gasket was about 1/4" thick and hard as a rock. The new one was about 1" thick, soft and pliable.......NEVER use a sealer. I helped someone replace that gasket one time and he had been stuffing caulking under there for a couple years (which obviously didn't work). I thought that we were going to have to tear the roof off to get that A/C unit off.