View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
SCBillandJane

We have been there twice in tents and once in a cabin in the Lake Lodge area. The roads in the park form the shape of the number 8. There are entrances at the top, bottom, and each side of the middle as well as a spectacular very steep entrance to the top right of the figure 8. This last entrance is known as one of the most beautiful roads in all the states, but should be taken with caution towing a trailer.
At the bottom, west side, and top there are commercial campgrounds not terribly far from the park entrances, but time is saved by camping in the park. Some campgrounds require only hard sided trailers because of the bears. You might have to convince some rangers that the Trailmanor is not a popup camper. We camped at the southern end because we wanted to see both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons just to the south. At the West Thumb camp ground at the south or bottom of the figure 8 set of roads there is expensive gas, small expensive grocery store, and a pay shower/ laundry. The sites had no water or electricity, but did have flush toilets. The pay shower was one of our treats.
We also camped at the private campground called Flagg Ranch which is between Yellowstone and the Tetons. It was nice but again expensive.
There is no sense in trying to describe all the wonders in this park. I would recommend at least a day on each of the four semicircles of the figure 8 road system. I also would recommend moving camp sites to lessen travel time if I could get reservations at different campgrounds.
If you have some relaxing time between the frantic touring trying to see it all, go to the old Lake Lodge past the new yellow modern Lake Lodge ( east side in the middle of the 8). This one is made of logs probably in the 1930's with a view from the porch that is made for putting your feet up and just looking at nature's beauty. Get there at day break for a cup of coffee or at sunset and a drink of your choice. You will see perhaps a bison grazing on green grass in front of Yellowstone Lake with snow covered mountains in the back ground with a 180 degree view. I bet you have guessed that we think Yellowstone is a very special place worth drving across the country to see more than once.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote