View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
P and B

Bobby,

The tire hadn't separated. It was brand new (maybe 1000miles on it). I'm no tire expert but it appeared that the rim was off. That said, when it was on the balancing machine I observed both vertical and lateral movement and it was substantial. The owner asked the guy if enough weight could be added to compensate and the mechanic said he didn't think so. Since you're in the business, you probably know all that can go wrong. For all I know it was several things. The only thing I know for sure is that the other two balanced fine with a couple of small weights. Wish I could add more but I'm afraid I just had to rely on the mechanic's assessment. I put the two good tires (one of which was the spare btw) on the axel and put the out of round tire in as the spare until I can get some disposition from the dealer. It will be interesting to see how they handle this i.e., whether I get caught in the middle as the "scientist" who has to figure out whether it's the rim or the tire, or whether they just send a new wheel and tire that they know is good.

I read somewhere on the tire forum that someone said TM was now balancing the tires at the factory. We have an early 2008 (bought it last fall) and ours weren't pre-balanced so, if they started doing it, they must have just started. Also, my tires are "D" rated. I know I've read where some folks had the "C" rated versions and changed them to the D's but I don't remember if they were the 14" or 15" wheels.

Phil