View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 09:34 AM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Start/Run Capacitor Burn out could lead to burning smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Freswick View Post
I am on the road. My AC turned on OK ran continuously for about 2 hours. It then attempted to start, could not, attempted over and over a number of times but never started. It then started to smell like it was burning. This happened once before but then it seemed to be working OK. At this point I do not think that I trust this unit. Do I get a 15000 or 13500 unit?
It could be the 'start capacitor' or 'run capacitor', both are replaceable at relatively low cost. Air Conditioners hate low voltage "brownout" conditions, that could have been a factor with a bad-quality connection to the grid (E.g. a "home-built" 30A socket wired with long or small wires).

I can't advise about the size to buy- your only good indication is whether the old one kept TM cool in really hot weather, back when it was still running "like new". 13.5K is plenty good enough for my TM, but it's a super-small model 2619.