View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #29
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquarles View Post
Hi,

There are a lot of posts in this thread and most have moved on to the topic of towing at speed. I am most interested in the original topic. Towing with 6 cylinder Ford Explorer. I have a 2002 Explorer V6. I am trying to decide between a 2720 and a 3124.

So far I have read mentions of short wheel base effecting towing. How does that affect the towing?

Others have stated there v6 tows fine at low speed. I am suspecting that the towing mentioned is referring to towing at 50 to 60 mph on flat terrain. I live in Colorado and will likely tow into the Rocky mountains where there are very long extended grades. How does the v6 tow in these conditions? Both in pulling the heavy TM uphill for long periods at 10,000 feet elevation and then braking all the way down the other side of the hill?

Any detailed help would GREATLY be appreciated.

BTW..this is a phenomenal site and I am learning so much.
I used to tow my 2720SL with a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac, and it towed fine, most of the time (I'm in Westminster), with a WDH (Weight Distributing Hitch). But with very steep grades such as Floyd Hill and Rabbit Ears Pass, I was pretty much down to first gear and high RPM (a bit over 4,000 RPM got a bit over 30 mph). Still, it didn't seem to hurt anything, though I was a little concerned about the transmission.

So I used the above as an excuse to justify the F-150 I'd been wanting anyway, but I suspect that, for the little amount of towing I did on steep roads, that the Sport Trac would have lasted just fine.

So as long as you're not too impatient, and you don't overload the vehicles, I expect you'll be fine.