View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Lug nuts for Lug Nuts.

Here's a few observations and photos from my switch over from 14 inch tires and wheels to 15 x 6 steel white spokes with 225 R75 15 Maxxis (M8008, load range D, 8 ply, 65 psi). First, I had to replace all 10 lugs because their threads had been stretched after being over-torqued. I knew something was wrong because it was hard to remove each lug nut along the whole length of each stud. The threads appeared flattened or slightly rolled over. I'm pretty sure that I'm responsible for this because I was probably over zealous in tightening my wheels after the initial 10, 25, & 50 mile interval when the TM was purchased in 9/06. I didn't think that at 56 yrs I could put over 110 lbs of force on a star wrench but I guess I might have. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high so I just "guess". I think I guessed wrong. I went to NAPA for lug nuts because the lug nuts at Pep Boys and Auto Zone appeared thin-walled and light duty (1/2 inch 20 thread). Oh, the studs were fine --- I guess that they're a harder steel.
These Maxxis tires seem a bit taller than what was reported for similar-sized tires from other manufacturers but I'm not sure about this. I think that they're slightly over two inches taller than the 205 R75 14 Marathons.
Anyway --- as you can see the new Maxxis have plenty of room with our '07 2720sl's 22 degree axle and 2 inch lift kit. I won't have to be so concerned about dragging tail in gas station entrances or boon docking. I went with Maxxis because I believed that it is a better tire for the extreme heat of Phoenix. I will run under max pressure (like most others who have made the conversion) and probably stay around 56-58 psi to soften the ride--- especially since these tires have a heavy casing. Don't be a lug nut. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	205 R75 14 Marathon beside 225 R75 15 Maxxis.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5 inch clearance with 15 inch wheels and lift kit.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Much improved clearance with 15 inch wheels.JPG
Views:	88