Thread: TV Insanity
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #32
Goodyear Travels

I haven't read any threads from TM'ers who actually installed K & N intake systems on 3.4L Toyota engines so I'm going to share my experience with you. First, let me say that nearly everyone who installed the intake system on Tundras with V8's has had very unsatisfactory performance results. If I remember right -- K & N's own dyno testing results -- fairly predict that the unit does not enhance performance except at the extreme upper limit of the RPM range for this particular vehicle. So poor performance should come as no surprise to anyone who saw the dyno results. But I have to say that, personally, I am very pleased with the performance gains that I have experienced on little Tacoma with its 3.4L engine and its 5 spd tranny. I get a significant boost (about 10-12 HP?) from about 2600 rpm all the way up to redline. It can be a bit noisy though when giving it a lot of gas and pulling hills. I haven't been above 5K yet -- but my wife and I had no trouble going 59 mph up 6% grades at 5K with the truck bed loaded & pulling a 2720sl. I could have coaxed it up the hill even faster but what's the rush. I don't know if you would get the same performance results with an automatic tranny and it is possible that the K & N could actually affect how your tranny shifts. You also would have to be very careful not to over-oil your filter cause you can really screw up your mass air control flow sensor and this can cost you big bucks. A little oil goes a long way. I learned this from someone on the TM forum who had once been a site sponsor for a Tundra forum. He was not exactly a fan of the K & N intake system. Anyway -- I love my Tacoma and it's little 3.4L engine loves to pull our TM. I won't be the first to the top of the mountain but neither will I be the last. I think the intake system performs differently on different vehicles -- so that performance generalizations should be avoided. I installed it on mine and I'm very satisified, but you'll get a boatload of negatives from folks with other vehicle applications. I wish you many safe and wonderful adventures in your TM. Find your Self in the great out-of-doors.