Thread: WDH question...
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
brulaz

Just wondering if you need a WDH at all with that setup. 1.5" drop at the ball isn't much. That Tundra can obviously handle quite a load, and you may not have much tongue weight as well.

Our tongue weight is about 550# and the WDH has 600-800# spring bars. Without the spring bars, the ball drops about 3.75" when the tongue is put on it. When I cinch the spring bars up to their max tension (5 links between the hook and the spring bar), the ball rises back up about 3".

With this WDH setting, the truck's front wheel well measurement drops about 0.25" and the rear wheel well drops about 0.75", and the truck/trailer handles really well. It has a well "planted" feeling ... don't really know how to describe it.

If I loosen the spring bars, the front end rises slightly, the rear end drops more, and there's definitely more of a "squirrely" feeling to the steering, especially when the spring bars are completely off.

At the other extreme, with heavier duty spring bars you could put on too much tension. Then the front end wheel well measurement could drop more than the rear, and your handling would also suffer.

So you want the front end to drop, not rise, but not to drop more than the rear end. Somewhere in between is the sweet spot.

And after getting the spring bar tension right, you want to ensure that your trailer is level. I ended up dropping the ball a notch with my setup.