Thread: WDH question...
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I hooked up the TM to the Tundra for the first time last week. With no WDH, it dropped the rear about 1.25 inches. Just pulling it about 10 miles to the house. It pulled fine and rode really nice. The front end did not feel light at all.

Hooked it up later and used the WDH load bars this time and the ride over irregular surface (dips, bumps, etc) is not real comfortable. I think the WDH is using either 1200 or 1500 lb bars. I was on link #3. Raised the back about 3/4"

Question is, if i used lighter weight rated bars, would the ride improve? And I'd still get some leveling.
I think that you might find the best results with a 600-800# rated WDH.

The key to setting up your WDH is to measure the distance from the top of the wheel well to the center of the wheel, front and rear, before hitching up the trailer. Measure again after hooking up the trailer and note the difference (just for reference). Hook-up the spring bars on the WDH then measure again.

If you had 21" in the front and 22" in the rear before hooking up the trailer, you should have ~20" in the front and 21" in the rear after applying the WDH. The point being, that the difference in drop after applying the WDH should be equal, front and rear.

I think that you will find that your measurement of drop after hitching the trailer (before applying the WDH) will be met with a measurement of lift in the front end. It is the "difference" in height that is the problem (1.25" drop in rear + .75" lift in front = 2" difference). This will cause too much road friction in the rear and not enough friction in the front, resulting in a loss of braking/steering control at some point.